Anonymous Posters

I have turned on anonymous posting. However, I require that you add a name or moniker to the end of your comment in order to reply to your comment without having to say anonymous at such and such time. The handle that you use can be anything that is not vulgar or rude, and must be used consistently or the comment will be deleted and not responded to. Also, comments that are vulgar or contain racial epithets will not be tolerated, and they will be deleted.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Mamo's Favorite Song

I had a dream last night about my Mamo (grandmother on father's side). She was a good Christian woman, passed on in December 1989. I know she is in Heaven, and I will be joining her there. Her favorite gospel song was Sweet Hour Of Prayer. It was written by William W. Watford in 1845 and is taken from 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5:17 Pray without ceasing. Unfortunately she never got to hear me play it as I can now, back then I could only basically strum with a little flatpicking thrown in.

The lyrics are as follows and what wondrous words they are:


Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare,
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight.
This robe of flesh I’ll drop, and rise
To seize the everlasting prize,
And shout, while passing through the air,
“Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!”

I have attached a video of me playing it on the 12 string guitar that I have just recently learned to fingerpick. The fat man in the video is me.

I hope this brings comfort to any and all that are having doubts or suffering any illness or just having trouble in dealing with the storms of life. God Bless.




And I'll leave you with a little upbeat bluegrass style of I'll Fly Away.


4 comments:

nanc said...

when i die

hallelujah bye and bye

i'll fly away

i'll fly away

old glory

i'll fly away!

it's so good to see you back - you had me concerned there for a time or twelve, poa!

please don't do that ever again.

if you ever have to contact me, please go to a new site a few of us have created:

http://sensiblefolks.blogspot.com/

and there you'll find an email addie to keep in contact.

that is some very beautiful picking! i've been thinking of re-taking up the guitar myself.

peedoffamerican said...

Thanks, for the very kind compliment nanc. Was pretty busy over the weekend and was not able to do much webbing. Look for further posts in near future.

nanc said...

check your email!

ptg said...

Thanks.